Health & Safety
Dogs kept outdoors must be provided with dry bedding. Wet weather presents an even greater need for fresh bedding because as the dog walks about outside and then returns with wet feet his blankets become wet. This creates an ideal environment for mange mites. Countless "outdoor" dogs come to us each year with severe mange and skin infections from sleeping in a dog house on wet or mildewed bedding. So do your dog a favor ... if he can't come in, at least be sure he has a fresh dry blanket every night.
And remember, no dog belongs on a chain. There are a number new methods of containing dogs that can protect them from harm (and safeguard your garden) inexpensively. PETS, Inc. even offers a payment plan for "invisible" fencing systems so there is no excuse for keeping a dog on a chain any longer. It's just plain cruel.
If you need assistance or know of someone who keeps their dog on a chain, please call us. We will do all we can to help.
Clumping litter might be dangerous
Marina McInnis of "Tiger Tribe," a cat rescue organization, believes you should never allow your cat or kitten to use a clumping litter. She reports that veterinarians are finding that the popular clumping litters are causing injury by way of respiratory and intestinal illness and even death.
Sodium bentonite, a naturally swelling clay, is used as an extremely effective clumping agent. When liquid is added, bentonite swells to approximately 15 times its original volume. Sodium bentonite acts just like an expandable cement. "Litters containing sodium bentonite should never be flushed; when they expand they can block plumbing," reports Cat Fancy magazine (October 1994).
Imagine what that expanding cement can do to an unfortunate cat who ingests it as he cleans his paws and inhales it into his lungs when scratching in a litter box. Once the litter is inside a kitten or cat it expands, forming a gummy, clay mass and coating the interior - thus, both causing dehydration by drawing fluids out of the cat or kitten and compounding the problem by preventing any absorption of nutrients or fluids.
Information contributed by Marina McInnis of Tiger Tribe
Lily Hazards for Cats
Lilies are common plants in households as potted plants or in bouquets. According to Michigan State University Extension's Grower Guide, Easter lilies are the third most important flowering pot-plant grown in the United States, with l0 to 11 million plants produced
annually. Unfortunately, several types of lilies can be deadly to cats. Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily, some species
of day lily, and certain other members of the Liliaceae family can cause kidney failure in cats.
Within only a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant material, the cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may Develop kidney failure in approximately 36-72 hours. All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. Cat owners should be aware of the dangers of lily ingestion and remove them from their cat's
Lilies that have been shown to cause kidney failure in cats include Easter lily , Tiger lily, Rubrum lily, Japanese show lily, and Day lily. Please note: this list is not all inclusive.
Jill A. Richardson, D.V.M.
ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center